Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day Two: Iniquitous

Now that you know the deal, I'll get right to it.  Today I had to go to court.  A perfect place to leave today's word of the day.  And no, I wasn't thumbing my nose at the man for getting me into trouble, I'm a lawyer.  Anyone left reading after you realized a horrible, scummy lawyer was writing this?  

Anyway, the particular jurisdiction I would be visiting today has a reputation for being less than entirely reputable.  Shocking, I know.  When I pulled into the parking lot an hour early (told you I'm a planner, which obviously also means prone to extra-punctuality) I whipped out my phone and thesaurus-ed "corrupt."  Iniquitous was the result that I didn't recognize.  I clicked on it and was taken to a definition of "unfair" "evil" and "wicked."  I think I actually said "Perfect" out loud.  

I recognize that the idea of labeling a court as corrupt is hardly groundbreaking.  Today's word of the day challenge actually felt too easy but not just because of the obviousness of my selection.  I had decided on the drive to court that it would be my place, but hadn't yet selected the word.  And I realized how simple it was going to be to search for corrupt and basically close my eyes and point.  It made me think of how much more difficult it is going to be once I have a dictionary and find a word I really like and then have to find an environment to conform.  

Oh, just this second realized I didn't finish all the details.  I don't want to only brand bathrooms but was afraid there were cameras in the courthouse that could catch me in the act.  I decided this wasn't the place to branch out, given that whole Officer-of-the-Court thing I rely on to pay my bills.  This time I wrote it on the wall underneath where the toilet paper comes out of the roll.  Perfectly visible while you're sitting and...well, you know what you do in there.  The picture is posted here (and yesterday's pic has been added to yesterday's post)

I wonder how the dynamic of this challenge is going to change when the focus isn't on just finding where to put the word; when the challenge becomes instead being aware of my surroundings to such an extent that I have to search for a circumstance befitting of my word.  Still can't get over being excited about reading the dictionary either, by the way.  Maybe it'll still just be as simple and silly as writing a word on a wall and getting a thrill from doing something I shouldn't, but I'm still hopeful it'll become something more.  And again, now I have another word to fold into my vocabulary!

No comments:

Post a Comment