Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day Four/Weekend Edition: Finally a Dictionary and Epic Failure!

Despite not getting home until nearly midnight last night, I refused to falter on getting up early only 4 days in.  I set my alarm for 7:30 and quickly fell asleep.  Fortunately, Cat gave me until 5:30 before he started doing laps around the apartment.  When I finally did get up, I had to hurriedly make my grocery list and get to the grocery store before all the lunatics ransacked it in preparation for Hurricane Sandy.  I figured if I could make it to the store before 9am I wouldn't be surrounded by the panicked masses.

Speaking of panicked masses, I searched for a word that meant just that to take with me.  I couldn't find one I really liked.  I searched for both "panic" and "hysteria" but didn't come up with any decent synonyms.  I had planned to write it in the water aisle, which I assumed (and subsequently confirmed) would be cleaned out.  I left the Giant more prepared for the hurricane but no closer to completing my challenges for the day.

I spent the day doing things around the house like vacuuming and straightening and went to the gym while I killed time waiting to pick John up from his golf vacation.  I didn't have any interactions with other people except for a few texts to my mother for a possible lunch date.  Another challenge in jeopardy!  John having finally arrived, we decided to go out to the bookstore so I could finally get my dictionary.  This is what I had to choose from:

The store we were in is a used bookstore which has a Buy 3, Get 1 Free deal running all the time.  I decided that I would buy both a dictionary and a thesaurus.  I also found a book titled "Words You Think You Know" about commonly misused words and phrases.  I figured it couldn't hurt, especially for only $3.99.  I made another discovery while choosing which dictionary/thesaurus combo to take home with me:

What you see here are two index cards with the lyrics to "Ice, Ice Baby" written on them.  I can't even begin to fathom who would have written these down, why, and perhaps most importantly, leave them behind after such an effort!  I put them back on the shelf where I found them...just in case.

On our way to the store, I started searching for a word that was a synonym for dictionary or definition or something along those lines.  Again, less than impressed with my options, I finally settled on "Elucidate."  Now, where to put it.  I stood in front of these two bookcases, conveniently in the back of the store in a corner but was struck once more with pangs of guilt.  I knew I could get away with doing it without getting caught but none of the other shelves had any graffiti on them.  And yes, I mean to say that I would have been more than ok with continuing to desecrate this structure had someone else already started it for me.

But I couldn't do it.  I even thought about writing it on the tape labeling the shelf so it could just be replaced, but there wasn't enough room.  In the end, I left the store with my new materials and without completing my challenge.  I'm really disappointed that on only day four I have completed one of three challenges.  I clearly need to come up with a way to do this word challenge that won't allow me to be restrained by such a sense of maturity and reasonableness.  It's a challenge, it's not supposed to be easy.  I just can't get past the fact that I'm inflicting something on an unsuspecting, undeserving stranger who shouldn't have to worry about removing my mark or having a piece of their property damaged because I'm bored.  Worse, with the Hurricane barreling down on us, I'm not sure I'll even leave the house tomorrow which means two days in a row with a failed challenge.

Sure, I thought about firing off a quick text to someone in my family telling them something I like about them, but that felt like a cop out just to get it done.  I even thought about writing one to John based on his stated intention to plan a romantic evening soon just because he felt he hadn't in a while.  But I want to save him for last.  Again I'm looking for a reason someone has earned a note.  I think tomorrow I'll just pick someone and send them a note and see how that feels.  I'm skeptical but maybe if I remove the context of having to interact with them before I write to them, I'll be able to legitimately identify something I like about someone and make a point of sharing that with them.

*Note:  All of a sudden feeling very self-righteous like I am some almighty decider of what's good and bad about people and how nice of me to deign to share my not-so-humble opinion with them and expecting them to be grateful.  Hmmm, maybe I'm just thinking too much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment