Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day One: Waking Up Early

As I mentioned in my first post, I really like to sleep.  I relish the fact that I live half an hour away from work and can sleep in, most days, until 8am.  I've tried a few times in the past to get into the habit of working out before work and I can never stick to it.  I might get 2 or 3 days but then it's all over.  

I have chosen 6:30 as my rising time on weekdays and 7:30 on weekends.  Hardly super early but it's a start.  I may edit it to 5:30 after a week or so but we'll see.  It's only for 30 days after all, how bad can it be.  So, last night I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning.

I am the type of person who has always "needed" 8 hours of sleep and often have to force myself to stay up late enough that I won't sleep for 9-10 hours a night.  Highexistence.com had an article about becoming an early riser that I read in preparation for this challenge.  (Read it here)  Not quite scientific but a theory to start with.  The author suggested that you shouldn't focus on sleeping for a specific 8 hours (ie. if you want to get up at 6am, go to bed at 10pm, or bed at 9 to get up at 5) but instead go to bed when you're too tired to stay up any longer but don't compromise on the time you get up.  Theoretically, this will allow your body to adjust naturally when you need more or less sleep.  

Last night I started feeling sleepy and got into bed around 10:30.  When my alarm went off at 6:30, I (again following HE.com's suggestion) turned off the alarm and lay back down enjoying how cozy I was.  I stretched a bit and after about 10 minutes sat up and checked my email on my phone.  I got up, fed the cat and proceeded to take a nice, long, hot shower.  I made myself a cup of coffee in *gasp* a real mug, not the travel kind, and blow-dried my hair.  Frivolous and insignificant perhaps but anyone who gives themselves just enough time in the morning (like I always did) can appreciate the sense of accomplishment you feel when you leave for work actually looking like you give a damn.  I even turned on the tv to a music station and had a few background jams.

I left for work feeling awake, in a great mood and ready to take on my day.  I never feel that way.  I typically sleep poorly and the feeling of being rested and energized is foreign to me.  What's more, now, 15.5 hours later, I'm only just starting to feel tired.  I'm amazed at what a difference an hour and a half in the morning makes.  I really enjoy quiet.  Sometimes a Sunday afternoon alone in the house with no one to talk to is the best thing for de-stressing.  There aren't a lot of people up and moving about at 6:30 in the morning and living in an apartment, you hear everything everyone does ALL THE TIME.  

What's most surprising is how looking forward to tomorrow morning I am.  I'm not quite sure yet how I'm going to use my time each morning.  Tomorrow I might try using my time to do my usual morning internet routine (email, facebook, twitter, news, etc) so I can skip it and get right to work when I get to the office.  Mostly I'm looking forward to having some time to reflect on what I want the day to be, how I can make it happen and leave for the day inspired and excited to take on whatever comes.  

Ok, as my first and fourth posts have all occurred in the last few hours, my fingers need a break and it's time to start winding down for the night.  I'm very excited about my challenges and am eager to see what results.  All in all, Day One counts as a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment