Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"We Don't Do That in This Family" or Brother

The other day I had this exchange with my brother via text:

Me-"What I like about you: for better or worse you have the guts to be what you want to be"
Kid-"What?"
Me-"It's called a compliment"
Kid-"We don't do that in this family lol"
Me-"All the more reason why"
Kid-"Oh well...you seem nice :p"
        "Mom said she'll read your blog tomorrow"

I'm almost at a loss for words as to how to discuss this.  I'm sure it is not all that uncommon for families to be so busy and preoccupied with doing all the things that make family life great that they forget about the actual human beings involved.  This is a bit of a "stop and smell the roses" moment.  My family is so busy running around from here to there trying to do as much as we can, in the interest of enriching life, that we forget (or don't bother?) to appreciate those we're trying to make life better for.  Maybe we've just become so separated from the family unit that we are only interested in making sure our individual life experiences are fulfilling and we stop looking any farther than ourselves.  This is a simplification of course as the family interest is behind a lot of the things we do regardless of how close to the top of the priority list.

I suppose the purpose of this experiment is to see what change I can effect in my life.  I've obviously identified a place where there is room for improvement.  Making a change here though will require commitment of not just myself but the rest of the family.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid that life has and will continue to be in the way and will undoubtedly make this difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment