Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mother Vol.2: The Ultimate Love/Hate Relationship-Morning Edition

Ok, so of course hate is a much stronger word than I want.  But, let's face it, "Love/Always Knows Just What to Say to Make You Feel 5 Years Old Again" just doesn't have the same ring to it.  But, readers of the internet rejoice!  I have single-handedly provided you something unique!  May I present: A 20-something who struggles with follow-through!  Even as I sit here to write this, I'm not sure what to say.  Not only have I failed to complete any challenge in the last few days (with the exception of an occasional early rise) but I haven't even bothered to try.

Perhaps my lack of interest in pursuing this whole thing started sometime last week.  My mother has a friend.  This friend and I have never been what you call close.  This friend had knee replacement surgery a few weeks ago.  So one night my mother called me and told me that her friend was experiencing some melancholy as a result of a few things.  She suggested that it might be nice if I sent her a get well card with a "What I Like About You" inside.

My reaction to this quest was peculiar.  One side of me was offended that she could so cavalierly dole out my "What I Like About Yous" like halloween candy at someone else's house.  "She just doesn't get it."  The other side thinks "Isn't this kind of the point?"  "And what's the harm?"  It's just a little note.  Well, I have yet to complete this request or any "What I Like About You" since.  I suppose I'm making a big deal out of nothing and that perhaps sending this particular note will be the most compliant with the purpose of this challenge.  Looking for something in this woman who I've never seen eye to eye with may be exactly what I should be doing.

During this phone call, she also told me that she had read through the rest of this blog.  She commented on what I'd said about everyone knowing who I was in our line of work.  She told me that just because she was doing it shouldn't be a reason for me not to do it.  She then pointed to the others in our field who are in a similar position.  I am not the only child of a legend in the field.  Somehow this is supposed to make me feel better.  As far as I know, everyone my age who is just starting out in any field struggles with their competence in something new.  Why is it so unreasonable for me to want to be a little more invisible while I stumble along?  She also reminded me that in this wonderful world full of technology and ever-expanding visibility that I should be careful what I write here because every future employer and/or client can read what I've written.  I suppose there's only so much one can expect of their mother, huh?  I guess I appreciate that regardless of the situation, she'll never stop thinking about what's best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment